Appeal Court upholds ruling: military needn’t compensate for capturing activist

A human rights activist who was shot by the military in 2017 at a checkpoint in Chiang Mai is not entitled to compensation based on the Appeal Court. Yesterday the courtroom upheld a previous ruling by the Civil Court that dismiss the lawsuit arguing that the military pay compensation to the household of Lahu human rights activist Chaiyaphum Pasae.
The courtroom hearing lasted about an hour yesterday and was attended by legal representatives for the army as nicely as human rights defender Angkhana Neelapaiji and human rights lawyer Janjira Janpaew. Straightforward happened at the Civil Court which learn the decision of the Appeal Court.
The Lahu are an ethnic Chinese tribe that’s one of 6 hill tribes living in the north of Thailand with an estimated population of about 100,000 individuals, and Chaiyaphum was a teenage Lahu activist that was stopped at a checkpoint and accused of drug trafficking. Accounts of his killing from native witnesses and from the army are wildly different, with villagers saying he was dragged from his automotive, beaten and stomped. After the military fired 2 warning pictures, he tried to flee and was then shot to death.
The military says that they discovered 2,800 meth drugs in his automobile which were never revealed and that he attacked soldiers with a knife before attempting to detonate a hand grenade causing the military to shoot him in self-defence. There was no DNA evidence on the knife and his DNA was discovered on the grenade but not on the pin. The entire incident was said to be captured on CCTV however by way of a quantity of steps of bungling the original footage was said to have been lost and later mentioned to not have existed.
The lawyer representing the army in court stated that there was no must compensate Chaiyaphum’s family as he was killed by an official weapon by a soldier used in self-defence and out of necessity. Official has gone via a collection of twists and turns after being filed initially in May of 2019 by his mother. The Civil Court dismissed the case in October 2020 saying the army officers acted in self-defence.
The incident drew national outrage originally as one other Lahu man was stopped and killed on the similar checkpoint with the very same reasoning. The Army claimed to have CCTV footage proving their story and submitted a tough drive to the Royal Thai police who said they didn’t discover footage of the incident on it. The subsequent month they despatched the original drive to the Central Police Forensic Science Division although to today the video has never been shared with the common public and even with Chaiyaphum’s household or their legal illustration.
The third region Army Chief said he had considered the footage and he would have opened hearth as an alternative of solely firing a number of shots. The Chiang Mai Provincial Court ruled that the video footage was not necessary and that they’d sufficient evidence to dismiss the claim towards the army with out it. In the meantime, many of Chaiyaphum’s relations spoke out against the dealing with of the case and had been arrested on drug charges subsequently..

Leave a Comment